Monday, June 6, 2011

Empty Nester Again

Well it happened, I’m an empty-nester again! The 3 robin babies and 2 robin parents that we have been sharing our patio with have deserted us.

It’s not that I didn’t expect it. My last blog was barely posted when the next day I went outside to see the first baby flutter down to the ground and immediately hide in my deutzia plant.  Turned around to see this….DSCN1636the second baby who was sitting on one of our new outdoor chairs (we hadn’t even removed the plastic yet) and within seconds he/she also took off to a different part of the yard.

At this point I whip my head around to see the last of the nestlings, standing tall and contemplating exactly it was where he would head for….DSCN1637which turned out to be a crash-landing onto the grass. Both his father and I were distressed to witness this but he was fine. Papa Robin immediately ushered him under some of our hosta plants.

I could hear the 3 babies calling out to their parents periodically through out that day, all in their various hiding places and their parents dutifully would bring them food.

Today, 3 days after they left “home”, I still see and hear them from time to time, always with a watchful parent not far.

Honestly it was so endearing to watch nature at it’s finest. I just loved it!

Wondering why I feel so sad then……..DSCN1575

No comments:

Post a Comment