Monday, December 20, 2010

Homemade Dog Food

 

I have been making my dogs homemade dog food for the past few years - Started right after that scare of contaminated commercial foods.

Came across the book “The Whole Pet Diet”  by Andi Brown and I swear by it.

Whole Pet Diet by Andi Brown: Book Cover

She believes in good health through proper nutrition and offers many recipes and holistic solutions for pet maladies.

I have noticed a difference in my dogs’ coat from using her “Recipe For A Beautiful Coat”, which has cod liver oil, wheat germ oil, soybean oil, garlic,rosemary etc.

There are numerous other recipes for both cats and dogs and also treats, all made with fresh, no chemicals or additives ingredients.

Here is my dogs’ standard dog food recipe “Spot’s Chicken Stew” :

(I use as many organic ingredients as I can.)

2.5 lbs. whole chicken

1/4 c. fresh garlic

1c.green peas

1c coarsely chopped carrots

1/2c. coarsely chopped sweet potato

1/2c chopped zucchini

1/2c. chopped yellow squash

1/2c. chopped green beans

1/2c. chopped celery

1 tbsp. kelp powder

1 tbsp. dried rosemary

Oats & barley to thicken

Put all ingredients in a stockpot, just enough water to cover, boil, simmer until cooked , debone, then put through a food processor to a thick pudding consistency.

My little Chaps looks forward to “helping” me clean the pot after I’m done. He sits and stares at me until I put it down for him. Takes him a while but he gets it spotless!

DSCN1324

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment