Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Frantic Search

Well, we certainly had our share of excitement here last week. My husband was setting up the sprinkler out front and had Jenny DSCN1442with him. He says he turned his back for one minute to wave to a neighbor and the next minute she was gone!

He yelled in the door that she was gone and I hurried out to help find her. Usually if one of our dogs wanders off, they are just a house or two down, sniffing and doing their best to ignore our callings but this was different. She was nowhere to be found.

God bless my neighbors, even some from the area that I didn’t know. Everyone was in search mode, calling her name while walking block after block, slowly driving thru the neighborhood and calling her etc. Some unable to leave the house said they would pray for us.  Word got around and for almost a 6 block radius people and kids were searching. All of this continued from 6 pm until 9pm, to no avail. My husband and I searched with flashlights until well after midnite.

She has been implanted with the HomeAgain microchip 27974_128803520473562_124334104253837_222632_6832343_nand I called to report her missing. Neither of us slept that night.

The next morning, 8am, a nearby shelter   41364_1849898011_1315_ncalled to say that our Jenny had been found and was waiting for us to pick her up – no worse for the wear.

When we arrived we got the story of what happened and where she was found……seems she got on a nearby freeway off-ramp, walked 8 blocks against traffic on the side of the road and was approached by 2 cars trying to catch her. The Sheriff’s dept. happened along, reprimanded the cars for stopping, sent them on their way and then closed the freeway and were able to catch her themselves!They then took her to the shelter where we got her back from.

Office of the Sheriff

Sheriffs banner with American flag and Deputys badge

My goodness, when I think of all that could have befallen her I shudder.

So, thank you to my neighbors, the people who tried to get her on the freeway, the Sheriffs who succeeded and the shelter that cared for her overnight.

And I also don’t doubt that we got a little help from all those prayers too!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is quite the story! We are glad to hear she is ok. She is quite the daring dog! I don't think I would've slept either!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndie it is so nice to meet you. Thank you so much for stopping by. I am so happy you found your fur baby. Can not image going through that. It is so wonderful to have wonderful neighbors to help.
    Hug
    donna

    ReplyDelete